Monday 16 November 2015

How Do You See Yourself?

When you look in the mirror, what do you see?
Do you take yourself seriously?
(Ahhh, that rhymes!)

But seriously? Do you?

At the tender age of 30 (ahem), sometimes I still feel like a teenage girl. Like I've not really grown up. Not that I've not grown up, but that I don't see a grown woman looking back at me. I see this young girl still trying to grow into her own skin. When do you actually start to feel grown up?

And the worst thing is seeing all these young girls in their mid-twenties that really seem to have it all figured out. What is wrong with me? Lol.

I know and appreciate the expression "you're only as old as you feel", but I want to feel my age. I want to feel grown. When does that feeling kick in?

Is it tied into accomplishments? Academic accolades? Acquisition of big priced products (like owning your own home or buying your dream car)? Or achieving major career goals? If that's the case I should feel halfway there right? Having a couple of those things under my belt. But I just don't feel like I'm there.

And then there's the issue of taking myself seriously. Like really believing in myself, even if no one else does. Please tell I'm not the only one who feels like this, at least some of the time. Is this linked to low self-esteem? Hmmmm.

Ok, if that's the case, I need ideas in bringing my self-esteem up. Where do I start? I want to feel strong from the inside out. It's all well and good looking well put together on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that counts me thinks.

I think it's time to read a few self-help books. Any recommendations? Your help is very much appreciated.

Do have an awesome week!

Buki x

4 comments:

  1. True happiness and joy comes from having a relationship with the Lord. Even so we do experience emotional ups and downs at times but its not lasting.

    I recommend this book: Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health by Dr.Caroline Leaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I wouldn't say I'm unhappy. Just in a constant state of "not yet arrived". Can't explain it. Lol.

      Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out. God bless you.

      Delete
  2. l understand what you mean, l think sometimes in life we might go through a phase where we think , this is not where or who l want to be yet. And guess what it is okay to have those moments. The truth is to grow and not stay in that phase. I see a beautiful lady in the picture posted with a great future ahead, just don't take yourself too seriously, enjoy the moments, read some positive uplifting books, the best one as highly flavored aid is the scriptures. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear, it is nothing but God o. Your blog posts exposes a vacuum that you are trying to fill. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing will fill that vacuum, but God, no matter how much you accomplish. I'm sure you understand what I mean.

    Mrs Brown’s Ministry

    ReplyDelete